Thursday, April 12, 2018

My happy ending and what's to come!

Today marks three months since my precious little boy, Maverick Julien Lefevre came into this world.



Three months ago, on an operating room table, my fate was in question.  It is amazing how something so beautiful, the birth of a child can also end up being the scariest day of your life.  Thankfully, my story had a happy ending.  Because of sixty plus strangers who sat and donated blood and a wonderful team of doctors and nurses who got me through an incredibly tough surgery, I get to be here today and watch my children grow up.  Pretty incredible when you think about it.

Going through such a life altering event brings a lot into question and I have often wondered how I was able to survive (when the odds were not in my favor) and so many people die everyday of cancer and most recently, school shootings in my hometown of Parkland.  I have spent the last three months trying to enjoy every moment of the amazing life my husband and I have created.  Remembering the sleepless nights of motherhood and spit up all over my clothing will not last forever.  Soaking in every bit of my son's newborn scent whenever possible, only wishing I could bottle it up and store it. Hugging my girl's and kissing them a million times until they beg me to stop.

I am often asked how I am coping with everything I have been through. Sure, some day's have been harder than others, knowing I lost the part of me that carried and brought my three beautiful children into this world and seeing the large scar that runs vertical down my abdomen as a constant reminder of what my body had to endure make me feel sad sometimes.  Sometimes I find myself holding my breath as I remember the the feeling of waking up in the ICU fighting to breath over the ventilator. Disappointment that I missed the first 5 day's of Maverick's life, knowing I will try to make those day's up somehow in this lifetime. Deep down, I feel there is a reason I survived and although that purpose may not be clear yet, in the meantime, I will find ways to give back and pay my good fortune forward.

April is placenta accreta awareness month. For every mother who loses their life giving birth, 700 mother's almost lose their lives.  Due to rising c-sections in our country, 1 in about 550 woman will be diagnosed with placenta accreta. In a country where we supposedly have such wonderful medical technology, we should not be loosing mother's during childbirth.  The rate of mortality for placenta accreta is 7% and shockingly 10% for woman with placenta previa.  I happened to have both, which is more common than not with placenta accreta. Why are these rates so high? Often it is due to woman not being able to receive the prenatal care necessary to catch this condition so that proper action can be taken to deliver the baby and protect the mother.  Community hospitals need to be prepared to handle these conditions because it is common that the delivery of the baby becomes an emergency due to hemorrhaging and sometimes there is no time to make it to a larger facility.  What can you do today to make a difference? Go to https://www.hopeforaccreta.org/donate and donate money or seek out your local blood bank to donate.  You never know, your blood donation could go to saving a Mom just like me.



If you are reading this and you are dealing with placenta accreta know that more often than not, you will be on the other side of the beast and be able to share your story of survival.  You are not alone, seek out a support group.  I am so thankful for finding https://www.facebook.com/groups/placentaaccretaworldwide/ who offered words of encouragement and strength when I needed it most.  Educate yourself and know your options, even when you have to be your own advocate.  Make sure you find an experienced team of doctors and a hospital equipped to handle the potential need for a massive blood transfusion.

What is next for me?  Documenting this journey has ignited a love for writing.  I plan to start my own blog (which is currently in the works) that showcases my journey of motherhood through pictures, relatable topics and a little bit of humor (because who doesn't need a good laugh sometimes).  I hope you come along and follow me at www.keepingitrealmotherhood.com


XO,
Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment